ALL ABOARD! The NBA Bandwagon Express is now officially open for business! If you would prefer legroom, choice of seating and perhaps even a founders plaque of yourself for being one of the innovators, here a few teams that you can begin to cheer for now before everyone else does.
1) Their starting five is incredibly young and getting better
2) Giannis Antetokounmpo, Jabari Parker and Khris Middleton are the best players you’ve never heard of
3) Currently 26-36, they probably won’t be competitive until next season
1) Under-rated tandem in Andrew Wiggins and Karl Anthony-Towns
2) Zach Lavine is an exciting, back-to-back Dunk Contest winner
3) Lots of salary cap room and high draft picks
1) Started off slow, but have vastly improved this season
2) Young and talented starting five with even more potential cap space when Gallinari leaves
3) Kept together, they should be able to build around a young PG who likes to pass the ball
1) Quietly the current 8th seed in Eastern Conference
2) Tremendous potential with young starting five
3) Should have some wiggle room in offseason to add piece(s)
1) The worst team in NBA, record-wise, but a lot of good young talent
2) Will have top pick (potentially) and over $54 million in cap space
3) Be the one “who was there through the worst of times”
So, how would I rank these fives teams in terms of potential? I’d argue that the Bucks current team has the most, because in their starting five, I see nothing but greatness (and their alternate jersey is amazing). That said, they don’t have much depth on the bench. The Pistons are a close second because of what they already have. The trade for Tobias Harris was a steal. I like the potential of the Timberwolves, but they will actually need to go out and do something about it in the offseason before I move them up. Same with the Nuggets if they lose Gallinari….he will need to be replaced. The 76ers have this master plan, but it’s been ongoing for so long, I’m not so sure…..I’m a glass half full kind of guy, but this water is evaporating quickly.
And there you have it.